Thursday, January 9, 2014

Dairy Free Corn Muffins (option to add green chilies)

For a long time I struggled with cornbread/ muffins.  I LOVE the stuff!!  However, I was stuck in a rut because I had that one tried and true recipe that just didn't work well with dairy free alternatives.  I think that because it was something that was tied to such a strong memory that any slight variation made a big difference in my mind.  So, I was off in search of a good alternative.  Once again I was faced with search results that yielded Gluten and Dairy Free....... most of these call for ingredients that we just don't keep on hand.  I ran across a vegan version, switched around a few things and we are very happy with the outcome.  This is not sweet cornbread!  Muffin refers to the shape, not sweetness of the bread.
 Ingredients:
1 Cup Almond Milk
1 TB Lemon Juice
1 Cup Corn Meal
1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 TB Granulated Sugar
2 TB Oil
1 tsp Salt
Diced green chilies (optional)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
 Mix the lemon juice in the milk and set aside.  (This will actually make a buttermilk style/ taste)
 Sift together all dry ingredients in a large bowl.  In a small bowl mix the wet ingredients very well.
 Add wet ingredients to the dry.  Mix thoroughly but do not over mix.
 I spoon half of the mixture into a muffin tin (with paper liners) then add a few spoons of green chilies to the remainder of the batter.  These will be for the adults!
 Ready to bake in the 450 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.
 The tops get nice and brown while the inside stays nice and moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment