Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Homemade Marshmallows using Natural Sugar

Did you know that store bought marshmallows actually have blue dye in them?  Check it here  This makes them appear whiter oddly enough.  I started testing recipes for marshmallows a few years ago and really fell in love with a version that doesn't use corn starch.  Now we are moving more towards unprocessed sugars so I decided to give it a whirl in this recipe just to see what would happen.  Honestly I had a MAJOR craving on a really cold day for cocoa with marshmallows, so this recipe was put to the test.  I will tell you now that I was NOT patient and I turned these out a little too soon.  In hindsight popping them in the freezer for just a few minutes probably would have eliminated the issue but they tasted just fine!  Hindsight is always 20/20 and I was also out of plastic wrap AND parchment so I only powdered the pan instead of lining it.  I had also planned on this being a double duty post and incorporating homemade natural powdered sugar but my craving got the best of me so I subbed store bought powdered sugar (this time) but I will show you the other recipe later!

So I can tell you from experience that this works the same using regular white granulated sugar and the darker demerara sugar.  The only difference is that the dark sugar caused them to come out with a tan hue, but that doesn't bother me (or the kids) one bit!

A lovely afternoon pick-me-up S'mores coffee with marshmallows!


 Ingredients:
2 TB Powdered Gelatin
8 TB Water
2 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Cold Water
Splash of Vanilla
Pinch of Salt
Powdered Sugar
 Combine Gelatin with 8 TB of water and set aside.  Prepare pan.  This is an 8x8, if you put all of the mixture in here you will have HUGE marshmallows.  I would suggest 2 8x8 or a larger pan.  The thickness is completely up to you and whatever containers that you have.  I'd also suggest lining the pan with parchment or plastic wrap to make turning them out easier.


In a heavy pot combine sugar with 1/2 cup water over medium heat until all sugar is dissolved.  Once dissolved add the gelatin mixture and bring to a full boil.  Remove from heat and CAREFULLY pour mixture into the bowl for your stand mixer which is placed into an ice water bath.  This will help cool down your sugar. (See Below)

Once cooled place it on the stand with the whisk attachment and beat on high speed (increase slowly to avoid splashes) for 15 minutes or until doubled in size. 


Fill your pan(s) and wait until they are cooled completely and no longer sticky to touch.


See, mine are a bit jagged because I just could not wait any longer!  LOL  They were a tad sticky, just roll in powdered sugar.  These can very easily be cut into cute shapes using cookie cutters!!


 These will be a very soft texture.  I actually prefer leaving them like this overnight and let the outside crust a bit.  Place into a container with a tight fitting lid...... try not to eat them all at once ;o)









No comments:

Post a Comment