Friday, August 2, 2013

World Breastfeeding Week, My Stories

What can be more homemade than breast milk?  Mom-made I guess since I've nursed in many places, not just home ;)  I have been more of a closet breast feeder.  I never had a really bad experience like some of the horror stories I have heard about though thank goodness!  However, most of the looks and sheer uncomfortable feeling I had when faced with nursing in public sent me running for privacy.  Most of the time I would just nurse in our vehicle or a dressing room.  Only on rare occasions have I nursed anywhere else.  I don't blame this on anyone or on society, rather I am just an extremely modest person and I was personally uncomfortable.

As far as the actual nursing goes, I dealt with most of the normal issues women face.  Sore and bleeding from a bad latch almost had me to the point of giving up with our first.  My husband was extremely helpful and supportive!!  Without his support I would have given up.  One of the best things I learned from a La Leche League Meeting while I was still pregnant was to not accept the samples given at the hospital.  Not having anything quick and easy would make it more difficult to give up.

So for almost 10 months I successfully nursed our oldest daughter.  Suddenly though, she was starting to refuse to nurse.  I was hurt and confused but then started feeling sick.  That's when we found out we were expecting again!  My lactation consultant said that the hormone changes can affect the taste of the milk and while some babies pay it no mind, others just do not like it!  Caitlyn was obviously one of those.  She self weaned onto a cup and not too long after that I had another baby to nurse.  The beginning wasn't as difficult, probably because my body hadn't been away from it for that long.  Addison nursed until about the same age as Caitlyn until she got a nasty stomach bug.  Poor girl was miserable and just never went back to nursing.  Neither one of them cried or missed it and I never had to really wean them.  This time around is a bit different.  Miss Kinley shows absolutely no signs of stopping.  When she's given milk in a cup, she spits it out.  Oh, I believe this will be a fun, new experience for me!!

Thanks for listening to my story!  I am a firm believer of doing what is right for you, your baby, and your own situation!!

No comments:

Post a Comment