Thursday, August 8, 2013

Waffles

 I can't make waffles without thinking about the movie Shrek with Donkey saying "And in the morning, I'm makin waffles!"  HAHA  Thanks kids!!  Here's a great dairy free recipe I found over here  I made a few slight adjustments for our family to include a way to sneak in some veggies (will add those pictures another day but will explain) 

Here are the ingredients for a double batch.  With 4 kids a single just isn't close to cutting it!!  This **should get 6 waffles. Sometimes I get 6, sometimes only 5. One of the best things is that it only uses one bowl! And it is super fast!!

2 Eggs
2 Cups Almond Milk (Have also used Silk Coconut)
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
2 splashes of vanilla
2 pinches of salt
6 1/2 tsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
2 cups All Purpose flour

Pre-heat Waffle iron
 Beat eggs until frothy.  Don't skimp on the wisking!!
 Add milk, oil, and vanilla and wisk again until frothy.
 You should know this is a decent little workout! Add sugar, baking powder, and salt and beat the daylights out of it.

I forgot a picture after adding flour, but gently incorporated until combined but try to get the lumps without beating it. This will keep your waffles super light and fluffy!

I keep a jar with melted coconut oil and a pastry brush to oil the iron before each waffle.  Fill the iron and wait until the light comes on.
 TA-DA
 The girls enjoy picking it up to dip instead of cutting!
Now for my favorite trick with these waffles.  Reduce the milk by 1/4 cup but after adding flour fold in a jar of baby food squash.  They come out more orangy and great if you add a little cinnamon as well!!  I will do these soon and make a post, Waffles part deux LOL 

No comments:

Post a Comment