Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Vehicle Emergency Packing

Over the years I have worked on and changed around my emergency kit to fit many different situations, as well as a growing family.  I made a video to try to more easily show you what and where everything is.  I will also post pictures of these as well.  Some would say what I carry is a bit overboard, but honestly a lot of these things I have actually used.  My family has a bit of interesting luck and just within the last 3 years we have been in a tornado and had 4 separate flat tires (5 if you count a flat on a rental which I ended up changing the tire because they wanted to charge me $50!?  How 'bout NO)

A little warning on the video: I do not enjoy hearing myself so this took some guts ;) Also, the beginning was filmed by my 5 year old so a tad shaky! Plus the video shows the contents of the bags.




The first and easiest to explain is that me and the girls each have a bag with a full change of clothes.  The problem with these is sometimes I forget how fast they are growing and the stuff in the bags may be a bit snug.  I try to check these with every season change.  Always carry extra socks.  For our kids they can't pass up a good bouncy house just because wearing sandals! Plus, I hang my ring sling from the back of the headrest to keep it out of the way! 

I keep lots of MRE's, water, and a picnic blanket which is padded and waterproof.  The blanket has been used for picnics as well as make shift shelter for sick kids or place to sit.  I keep a small handy bag with duct tape, clothes pins, antihistamines, hand sanitizer, ear plugs, and a few other small articles.  I know some are thinking, clothes pins?  You'd be surprised at how many uses these have!  Pinning blanket to the trees to give kids place to change out of sight, baby blankets secured to stroller, holding papers from blowing away, the possibilities are endless!

Orange bag holds first aid, ponchos, toilet paper, rope, matches, candle, flash lights, duct tape, glow sticks, and foil blankets.  Those foil blankets are the last thing I ever thought I would use, but I was proven very wrong and I ended up restocking with one for each family member.  When we were hit by the tornado, the big girls and I were actually in the vehicle (which was basically totaled) Covered in glass, parts of trees, rain we were all in shock.  Add in that we didn't wait around for help since none of us were majorly injured and the car was still able to roll, I used emergency blankets to cover the kids and shelter them from the busted windows.  That experience is why I am just a little overboard.  You truly never know what is going to happen!!

I have also become Queen of flat tires so the little red bag holds extra vehicle emergency supplies.  But, don't rely on fix a flat!  Know where your tools are and how to change a tire!!

In the way back in the potty.  Yep, you are seeing correct.  This thing has been a true lifesaver.  I am not paid to give my opinion here but I will put up a link to these!!  Disposable bags= AWESOME!!

Trash can (Dollar Store) is held on using velcro tabs.

And up front is my cute cubby for paper towels, map, first aid kit, sunscreen, and bug spray.

I also keep a Gerber Multi-tool in the glove box, seat belt cutter, window punch, sticky notes, and pens.

No comments:

Post a Comment