Thursday, August 8, 2013

Shoe Tying

Here's one that we all have different ways to teach and I have personally used two different methods.  I made a tying board for the kids because buying one was out of the question at $20!  I used a cardboard cake circle, $1 store laces, and duct tape.  I will try my best to explain because I can't really take this apart haha


The pink "shoe" in the middle is actually the holder that the laces came in.  I bought 2 different colors so the kids could tell the different steps apart.  I cut each in half then knotted them together. I taped the knot to the backside of the pink shoe then laced the strings through like normal.  For this board I used one of the new Duct Tape Sheets from the Duck Brand, cut out the hole for the pink shoe, peeled the backing and this holds the pink shoe in place.  (The back also has a sheet of duct tape to give it a finished look)  I have made others with just strips of regular tape and that works just fine.  I took pictures of each step of tying the shoe, put the pictures on a word processing program (I used Pages for Mac) and numbered each of the steps.  Printed this and used a self laminating sheet from the office supply section. I'd say total less than $5 for the materials and both of the girls have used it.

I was at the dollar store today, here's what the package of laces looks like!!



Now for some reason I can't upload the video of how I taught Addison.  I found it HERE at Efficient Life Skills.  This method is called Magic Fingers and it really works!  Addison has a bit of trouble with depth perception and I used this method to teach her in less than 10 minutes!  

I still used my nifty little tying board ;o) 


No comments:

Post a Comment