Friday, August 2, 2013

Mildew on our diapers =( BBBOOOOOOOO


Ok, so I don't actually make our diapers so not exactly homemade as my blog title says.  There are also lots of cloth diaper related websites, blogs, and groups around but I figured that maybe someone out there can benefit from this as much as me.

I'm currently working on a big post about homemade cleaners, but I have been side tracked by this issue so that's what I will write about.

For at least a month now I have had a minor battle going and now I believe that it has turned into war!  I had a few, barely noticeable black dots on a few of our diapers. 

 I thought that this issue stemmed from a wetbag, so after bleaching, sunning, and stripping the diapers I thought that the issue was killed.  I have heard of some people still having some stains from it so I went about normal business and was satisfied that this was a done deal. 
 I am normally a wash a night person.  During the day I have plenty of regular laundry, cooking, and cleaning going on.  I like to wash the diapers through the night and hang them out for sun (if possible) in the morning.  Our washer has a fan fresh setting that vents the basin and will rotate clothing so that they won't mildew if you can't get to the washer straight away when the cycle is done.  Kinley normally gets up in the middle of the night to nurse, I make a quick detour to the washer, turn off that fan fresh setting and turn on the washer for the last rinse.  A few nights ago I forgot to push the fan button AND Kinley slept through the night!  This was NOT good for the diapers though and came out covered in black dots, not just the few like the first time.  So instead of the wet bag being the culprit I am now pinning this on the washer.  Coupled with crime scene evidence of pink mold growing on the pull out drawer for the soap dispenser YUCK!!  Took the dispenser apart and cleaned it using mild dish soap and a soak in vinegar.  Scrubbed everything I could reach in the washer with vinegar and/or peroxide.

 Anything and everything that could have possibly been exposed to mildew is now soaking in the tub with vinegar.  I know that repeated vinegar soaks can ruin elastic but at this point I have nothing to lose if the mildew issue is not resolved and figure one soak shouldn't hurt.  Working now on household laundry and I will get these in to wash in a little while.  Still figuring out what I want to do with the wash cycle.  Feel free to post comments.  PLEASE post comments!!  =o)   
UPDATE:
Well, after this vinegar soak I washed them on hot with a few drops of tea tree oil.  They were still looking speckled so I decided I can't do any more harm to them than I would if I didn't treat the mildew and I went ahead and bleached them.  There are only a few tiny spots left!!  I have now divided the stash into those that just need a wash and sun (making sure all bleach is gone) and those that need another treatment.  Not 100% sure if I am going to soak or just bleach and sun.  YAHOOOOOOO I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!

No comments:

Post a Comment