Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Mildew on diapers: Part 2

I think they are saved!!!!!!!!!

OKAY, now that that's out of my system I feel a little better!  They are out on the line now catching some rays.  There are a few tiny specks left to treat, but I would say this process has been overall quite successful!!  I can only find a dot on one insert and 2 covers out of all of those that were being treated (about 15 inserts and 4 covers)  
 Now after all of this washing and soaking they are a bit pilly, but I would rather have pilly than speckled in the trash!! 
  Can you see it? =) 

Here's a run down of what I did:  Completely cleaned washer!!  Took out the detergent tray and found mold (YUCK!)  Sanitized the washer with the sanitize cycle, washing machine cleaner, and hydrogen peroxide.  Overboard? Maybe, but it seems to have worked.

Diapers: Soak in hot water and vinegar in the tub for several hours (while I caught up family laundry because I knew the washer would be working overtime on this endeavor)  Did a rinse (I used a regular wash cycle with no soap)  Washed Warm Bulky cycle with few drops of tea tree oil in the detergent dispenser and powdered Charlie's Soap in the basin (BTW I have an HE FL) Rinsed again on regular cycle with no detergent.  Washed again this time adding bleach on the bulky setting and HOT water. Then a final Rinse and dry.  Didn't see the sun for a few days and once again had family laundry to catch up.  I could still see a few dots and decided another bulky wash with bleach, extra rinse, and now they are sunning.  I know it seems like a lot, but I am determined to save these!!  If your family is like mine a little extra water won't break the bank, but new diapers definitely would!!!

Also, during the break of treating the mildew lot of diapers, I ran all of the rest of the diapers, inserts, washcloths, and wet bags through bleach to ensure that nothing is being left untreated and possibly passing this back into the diapers.  My wetbags don't exactly look as pretty as they used to, but again it is better than buying new!!

No comments:

Post a Comment