Monday, July 29, 2013

Warm, fragrant bread!

There's not much I enjoy more than the smell of fresh baked bread!  There are so many choices these days on the shelves, but what most people don't notice are all of the ingredients that really don't NEED to be in there.  Now I love a good loaf of artisan bread with nuts, oats, grains, or seeds and the kids do, too!  However, there's something nostalgic for me and a good ole loaf of white bread.  I'd rather the kids eat homemade white bread everyday than to eat the store bought grain this and that bread that was baked over a week ago.  

Ingredients to Make 2 Loaves:
-2 cups warm water 
-2/3 cup sugar
-1 1/2 tbsp yeast
-1 1/2 tsp salt
-1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
-6 cups flour


 I can't believe I forgot this when introducing the family!  Here's Badger!  He's a 7 year old Border Terrier.  If I stand still for more than a few seconds this is where he ends up! 
 Mix the sugar, water, and yeast in the bowl of your mixer that has been fitted with a dough hook.  As far as the water goes I think of it as baby/kid bath water temperature.  Not too hot but a little over luke warm.  Let these sit for about 10 minutes until it looks like this. **Then add oil and salt and mix.
 I add the flour in about 3 batches.  Always let the flour completely incorporate before adding more.  Once it starts to climb up the hook, mix the rest of the flour in by hand just until the dough is not sticky.
 Plop (technical term hehe) it into an oiled bowl, cover, and let rise for one hour.  You can use plastic wrap or a towel.  The warmer the location the more/faster it will rise.  I place mine on the stove.  If you have little ones running around like I do, I recommend setting a timer ;o)
 Dough has risen and here's how I set myself up for making it into loaves.  These just happen to the pans I have to make one large loaf and two smaller ones.  This recipe works great shaped into hamburger or hotdog buns (I'll post those another day)  Punch the dough down in the bowl and turn it out onto a floured surface.
 I cut the dough into the sizes I need, shape, then place in well oiled pans.
 Here's a good example of why I am calling this Imperfectly Homemade.  I have NEVER made 2 loaves of bread that look the same! 
 Set them in a warm spot to rise and cover with a towel.  In reality they should rise for about 30 minutes.  In our house it all depends on what is going on.  If in a time crunch I may let them rise 15 minutes (while oven is warming) or the opposite they may rise an hour if I am cooking dinner or have to run to the store.  Either way, it tastes wonderful!!  They will rise more as they bake!

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the loaf.  For these, the small ones will bake right at 30 and the large about 38.
Let the bread stay in the pan for about 5 minutes, then turn out onto a baking rack.  Force of habit from cooling cakes, I always put mine on a cloth to cool.  Now, these could have risen more but I really wanted to get these done and have a nap before the little one gets back up in a little while =)  Now try to wait until they are cooled before you cut them. GOOD LUCK!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment